|Repository of Parts Inventories for LEGO® Sets|
This is an unofficial, ad-hoc collection of parts inventories for various official LEGO® building sets. Data is currently organized by contributor but will ultimately be integrated into a mega-hyperlinked database of elements and images, with an intelligent search interface. Please refer to sections 5 and 6 of the LUGNET Plan for more information on this subject.
Note that since this is a work-in-progress, the presentation of materials here is subject to change without notice. However, nothing will ever disappear without reappearing in another form.
For your browsing pleasure, here are the directories of inventories available thus far:
- 800 Town, Train, and other sets inventoried by Tim Vattima
- 160 Castle and Pirates sets inventoried by Margo Kubiak
- 14 Technic sets inventoried by Dave Baum
- 13 Technic sets inventoried by Selçuk Göre, Ralph Hempel, Ben Kimball, and Patrick Gili
- See also: Dan and Jenn Boger's collection of LEGO Set Inventories
If you would like to contribute any listings, please keep in mind that anything you submit must be republishable without limitation. That is, LUGNET cannot accept submissions for which the terms of publication or transmogrification are restricted or licensed in any way. In other words, by submitting something, you agree to grant LUGNET the right to publish verbatim and/or transmogrified copies of your submission without limitation or remuneration, on the web or elsewhere, for others to use.
- Sort the pieces in a set first before sitting down to type them in. Stacking similar types of elements also helps keep them together and makes things go smoother.
- Make a printed listing of each inventory before submitting it, and double-check it piece-by-piece, marking off elements on the paper copy as you go. If possible, ask another person to triple-check your work on another printed copy before submitting. Remember that other people will see your name as the progenitor of the data, and they will know whom to contact if they discover an error.
- Be consistent in the way you name things.
- Don't be afraid to make an inventory of a set which already appears here, especially if you suspect errors or omissions. Ideally, each set ought to be checked and re-checked by several people over time, and no one should take anything personally because no one is perfect.
- Include in your listings all "extra" elements even if they do not appear the building instruction booklet. Extra elements are not really "extras" but are carefully planned and accounted for by the weighing machines at LEGO just like every other piece, and they can be counted on to appear in every copy of the set. Designate any extra elements in a set as such using some sort of consistent tagging.
- Also include sticker sheets and building instruction booklets in your listings. Include the dimensions of the box or polybag or other packaging material as well. And if you can stomach the rigor, also note the 6- or 7-digit product codes of all printed materials (for example 4.100.193 or 877103). This will help later in identifying subtleties in different versions of a set.
- Don't include catalogs or LEGO Club membership applications; these vary widely from season to season and market to market. Even the size and style of catalogs changes in a given set sometimes.
- Don't worry about which plastic bags contained which pieces; placement of pieces within bags is something that can change on different production runs. The exception to this is boxed sets which contain other boxed sub-sets (i.e., 6799 Showdown Canyon) or boxed sets which contain other polybag-based sub-sets (i.e., 6426 Super Cycle Center) for sets like these, create a separate inventory for each sub-set.
Well, that's about it...have fun! (Inventorying is actually fun once you get into the swing of it.) Submissions can now be posted to the lugnet.db.inv newsgroup!
7 Aug 1998
Please remember that this is an unofficial fan-created web site, which means that the information contained herein is not prepared, sponsored, authorized, or endorsed by the Lego Group of companies.